Roast chicken is a culinary favourite that is one of the ultimate comfort dishes. It is also one that can be easy to slip into default mode with, and to just think of the classic roast with all the trimmings. As wonderful as that is a full chicken is incredibly versatile and thinking beyond the usual, this is a dish that can be enjoyed just as easily midweek as at the weekend. We all look for those midweek suppers, the ones that don’t necessarily demand too much of us, yet completely delivers bagsful in terms of flavour. This is one of those dishes that is simple enough to throw together after a busy day and yet smart enough to serve at a casual dinner party. With everything on one tray the chorizo does all the magic here, basting the chicken and potatoes with its wonderful paprika oil. The broccoli salad gives a lovely freshness to the dish that helps to counterbalance the richness of the chorizo. Don’t forget to toast the almonds in the broccoli salad, as it makes a big difference to the final dish.
Roast Chicken with Chorizo and potatoes
1 x 1.5kg (3lb) free range chicken
1 x 300g chorizo cut into thick slices
500g waxy potatoes cut into chunks (or halved if using baby potatoes)
½ bulb garlic
Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 210°C Fan/450°F/Gas Mark 8
- Cut the potatoes into large chunks and add to a roasting tray along with the slices of chorizo.
- Place the half lemon and half garlic bulb into the cavity of the chicken and then place on top of the potatoes and chorizo. The potatoes and chorizo then act like a trivet for the chicken
- Drizzle the chicken with olive oil and rub all around the chicken. Season with plenty of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cover loosely with foil and place in the oven for 10 minutes and adter that time turn down the temperature to 180°C Fan/400°F/Gas Mark 6 and roast for another 1hr 10mins. With 30 minutes to go remove the foil and baste the chicken with the chorizo flavoured oil. Continue to do this every 10 minutes until the end of cooking.
- When the chicken is cooked remove from the tray and leave to rest, covered loosely with foil.
- Turn the oven back up to a high heat 210°C Fan/450°F/Gas Mark 8. Turn the chorizo and potatoes in the oil, return to the oven and roast for another 10-15mins until nicely browned and crispy.
- Carve the chicken and serve with the potatoes, chorizo, and broccoli salad. Drizzle the dish with a little of the orange red paprika spiked chorizo oil which packs a load of flavour.
Broccoli and feta salad with cherry tomatoes and toasted almond
2 x heads broccoli cut into florets
1 x 200g feta crumbled (or diced into cubes)
handful cherry tomatoes halved
3 tbsp flaked almonds toasted
50g rocket (which is about half a typical supermarket bag)
1-2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Put a cold pan on the hob with the flaked almonds and turn the heat up to high. Toast the almonds until they turn golden and emit a lovely fragrance. Set aside in a bowl to cool.
- Put a pot of salted water on to a high heat and when boiling add the broccoli florets. Cover, bring back to the boil, and when boiling remove the lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime get a large bowl of iced water ready. After the 5 minutes drain the broccoli and immediately transfer to the iced water. This cools down the broccoli quickly and retains the lovely vibrant green colour. Leave for 5 minutes and then drain again. Cover and refrigerate the broccoli until needed.
To Assemble the Salad:
- Crumble the feta and add to the broccoli, along with all the other salad ingredients. Add the oil and the lemon juice. Season with flaked sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and gently toss all the ingredients together.